Information begins with facts, which can be assembled to identify trends. Put it all together to derive knowledge. Presenting Chief Executive’s INfact.
- Percentage by which the $750 billion bailout exceeds the cost of the entire New Deal | 33%
- Total paper losses of the portfolios of 175 chief executives through
Oct. 27, 2008| $52.3 billion
- Amount of paper loss represented by Warren Buffett | $15.9 billion
- Number of hedge funds and sums under management, respectively, in 1990 | 610, $38.9 billion
- By the end of 2006 | 9,462, $1.5 trillion
- Change in the purchasing power of the dollar, relative to the consumer price index, since the motto “In God We Trust” was added to the dollar bill in 1957 | -87%
- Change in PPI and
CPI, respectively, for October 2008, the largest month-over-month decline since the data series began in 1947 | 2.8%, 1.0%
- Number of nations with double-digit annual inflation rates in 1979 | 67
- In 2007 | 31
- Average total return (add dividends, subtract inflation) of the S&P 500 since 1916 | 6.7%
- Average stock market return per year for the 25-year period ending June 20, 1957, the best result for any 25-year period | 12.7%
- Return for the 25 years that began on that date, the worst average return in history | 2.2 %
- The median total compensation (salary, cash, bonuses, perks, stock option profits and other realized equity) of female CEOs expressed as a function of the median compensation of male CEOs, according to a study of 3,242 North American com – panies | 85%
- Percent of consumers who always carry, or usually carry, a credit-card balance | 54.6
- Percent decrease in spending on visible goods per $10,000 in the mean income of white households in 2008 | 13
- Amount by which the average homeowner in Mountain House,
—the community which has the most foreclosures in the U.S—owes on their mortgage, above what their home is worth | $122,000 California
- Chances that a
woman who gives birth is unmarried at the time | 2 in 5 U.S.
- Average number of new federal crimes that Congress creates each year | 56
- Chance that a 411 call in the U.S is handled by a federal prisoner | 1 in 136
- Average number of hours per week that an American and a Chinese person, respectively, spend shopping | 4, 10
- Share of
banks that have tightened terms on loans to large and midsize companies | 84 U.S.
- Factor by which the amount of money borrowed by
banks from the Fed in October 2008 exceeded what they borrowed six months earlier | 4,000 U.S.
- Median price of a new home in the
as of September 2008, the lowest since 2004 | $218,400 U.S.
- Rank of the U.S. as a free-market economy in terms of openness to capital flows, low trade barriers, and absence of distortions from taxes and subsidies, respectively | 20, 21 and 35
- Rank of
Hong Kongon all three scales | 1
- Number of private companies with revenues over $1 billion that had IPOs in the past 12 months | 3
- Number in similar period last year | 15
- 2007 revenues of Cargill, the largest private company in the U.S | $110.6 billion
- Number of S&P 500 stocks that experienced peak-to-trough drops of 50% or more in the 10 years ending in May—before the worst of the credit crisis hit | 347
- Ratio of the funds
banks paid into the FDIC in 2007 to those they received in ATM fees | 1:1 U.S.
- Percentage of Fortune 500 companies that own a Web address in which their name is followed by “sucks.com” | 26
- Number of complaints filed by corporate whistleblowers with
workplace safety officials since 2002 | 1,288 U.S.
- Number in which the government ruled in favor of the whistleblower | 17
- Valuation of a human life determined by the EPA’s 2008 Value of a Statistical Life calculation | $7.4 million
- Decrease in the number of home-line phone accounts in 2Q 2008 compared to a year earlier | 4.6% to 104.6 million
- Change in sales at Starbucks’ stores open at least a year for 4Q 2008 | -8%
- Change in sales at McDonald’s stores open at least a year for same period | +5.3%
- Number of women in the
state senate, the first state legislative body with a female majority | 13 New Hampshire
- Graduation rate for high school students in
, the state with the highest graduation rate in the Nebraska | 88% U.S.
- Graduation rate for
, the lowest | 56% Nevada