Presented by Chief Executive magazine and Thayer Leader Development Group at West Point, the Patriots in Business Award recognizes outstanding businesses that lead the nation in supporting active duty military members, veterans and their families.
In the age of Amazon, companies need to be intelligent, agile, automated and on the cloud. But building this kind of operation isn’t easy, and mergers, acquisitions and divestitures are becoming a strategic tool of choice for companies to buy their way into the model.
On July 30, 2018, Lockheed Martin CEO Marillyn Hewson spoke at the United Nations Delegates Dining Room, accepting the honor as the 2018 CEO of the Year. Here is an execrpt from her speech.
CEO LEADERSHIP CONFERENCENovember 7-8, 2018 | Phoenix, AZ The CEO Leadership Conference featured best selling author and keynote speaker Patrick Lencioni, who shared highlights of his research and best selling business books and focus in on what CEOs and senior executives needed to do to create healthy, high performing organizations. He described how business leaders can build a cohesive leadership team, establish clarity among these leaders, communicate that clarity to everyone else in the organization and put in place just enough structure to reinforce that clarity going forward. 2018 Topics Included:
- Superbosses: How Exceptional Leaders Create Talent
- Building a World-Class Sales Organization from Jack Daly | Former CEO and Best-Selling Author, The Sales Playbook for Hyper Sales Growth
- FutureNomics and the 7 Prescriptions For Success
- Leading from a Decisive Point
Sydney Finkelstein | Professor of Management & Leadership Center Director, Tuck School of Business at Dartmouth College; Author, Superbosses
Col. (Ret) Lee Van Arsdale
Commander, Mary Kelly, US Navy | Author of Why Leaders Fail
CEO TALENT SUMMITOctober 2-3, 2018 | West Point, NY
Held at the Historic Thayer Hotel on the campus of West Point, the 2018 CEO Talent Summit brought together CEOs and leading thinkers in an interactive, intimate environment to discuss strategies for building high-performing organizations focusing on human capital, talent development and retention, and corporate culture.2017 Topics Included:
- Getting Your Organization Back to Human: How Great Leaders Create Connection in the Age of Isolation
- Leading in Times of Uncertainty
- Building a Leader Culture
- It also included Great Commanders Guided Experience - a tour of West Point by COL (Ret) Pilar Ryan and COL (Ret) Jim Johnson
BG George "Barney" Forsythe, Ph.D. (U.S. Army Retired), Retired President & CEOWestminster College
Joe DePinto (1986 USMA Graduate), President & CEO 7-Eleven, Inc.
- Robert Leduc, President, Pratt & Whitney.
- BG Rebecca "Becky" Halstead, (U.S. Army Retired), First Female Graduate of West Point to be promoted to General Officer
SMART MANUFACTURING SUMMITJune 6-7, 2018 | Columbus, Ohio Chief Executive was pleased to co-host the 2018 Smart Manufacturing Summit with Honda. More than 200 manufacturing executives convened in Ohio to gain real-world solutions on the challenges and opportunities facing the manufacturing industry. An inspiring 2 days included keynotes, panels and peer-to-peer roundtables along with guided tours of Honda’s and Anomatics’ state-of-the-art facilities. Companies represented at the 2018 Summit included: Cintas Corporation, Delta Systems, Inc., Entrust Manufacturing Technologies, Inc., The Greenbriar Companies, One Energy, Sioux Corporation, Uber Technologies and Webster Industries, Inc. 2018 Topics Included:
- Embracing new digital technologies from IoT to AI
- Attracting and developing extraordinary leaders for their company
- Creating growth and profitability in a tumultuous time
- Rich Baker, Chief Technology Officer, Protolabs
- Norman Bodek, Author & Founder of Productivity Press, PCS Press
- Mary Beth Connolly, Business Partner for Industry, VP, Marketing, Schneider Electric
- Mohammad Ehteshami, Vice President and General Manager, GE Additive
- Gary Heiman, President & CEO, Standard Textile
- Farooq Kathwari, CEO, Ethan Allen
- Thomas Kinisky, President and CEO, Saint-Gobain Corporation
- Tom Shoupe, Executive Vice President & Chief Operating Officer, Honda of America Mfg.
BOARDROOM SUMMITApril 23-25, 2018 | New York, NY The Boardroom Summit, featuring the original Board Committee Peer Exchange, is exclusive to public company board members and executives. Through a mix of energizing keynotes and panels, interactive breakouts, and roll-up-your-sleeves committee workshops, participants gained actionable best practices and guidance to make an immediate impact in their boardrooms. Companies represented at the 2018 Summit included: Abercrombie & Fitch, Carnival Corporation, Chipotle Mexican Grill, Evercore Inc., Del Monte Fresh Produce Co., iStar Financial, Meritage Homes, Popular, Inc., State Street Global Advisors, Tiffany & Co. and Yum! Brands, Inc. 2018 Topics Included:
- Board's Eye View of Strategy and Risk
- How Leading Companies Pay for Performance
- The Role of Board Evaluations in Building High-Performing Boards
- The Investors' Perspective - Fundamental Expectations for Today's Boards
- The Board's Role in Talent and Culture as Strategic Drivers
- Why Investors Care About ESG ... And How Boards Should Respond
- Fireside Chat: Shareholder Activism in 2018
- Ram Charan, Author of Boards That Lead and Boards That Deliver
- Peter May, President & Fouding Partner, Trian Partners
- Investor representatives from Blackrock, Calstrs, State Street and Vanguard
- Board members from Akamai Technologies, Apogee Enterprises, Bausch & Lomb, Campbell Soup, Cisco Systems, Fresh Del Monte Produce Company, Gorman-Rupp Company, Hershey Company, Johnson & Johnson, Merck & Co., Tractor Supply Co., Vulcan Materials Company, Wendy’s Company and Xerox.
CYBER RISK FORUMApril 16, 2018 | San Francisco, CA In partnership with RSA ® Conference, this one-day program aimed to improve the dialogue between management and the board on cyber issues through panels of cybersecurity experts and thought leaders, as well as in-depth peer-driven discussions to share experiences and practical insights direct from the trenches.companies represented at the forum included: DISH Network, Hertz, Imperva, SailPoint, Semtech and Walmart. The 2018 event sold out, so be sure to register early. 2018 Topics Included:
- Understanding the government’s take on cyber security
- Emerging third party risks
- Building a cyber-savvy culture to minimize internal risks
- Leveraging the CISO-board relationship
- Keynote: The Honorable Michael Chertoff, Former Secretary of the U.S. Department of Homeland Defense
- Keynote: Adam S. Hickey, Deputy Assistant Attorney General, National Asset Protection
- Dawn Cappelli, VP, Global Security & Chief Information Security Officer, Rockwell Automation
- Jim Routh, Chief Security Officer, Aetna
- John Scimone, SVP & Chief Security Officer, Dell
CEO2CEO SUMMITDecember 7, 2017 | New York, NY The 2017 CEO2CEO Summit provided an intensive setting for busy chief executives to meet and share knowledge with other leaders who have mastered turbulent times to speed growth and foster innovation. Attendees learned to hone their plans for growth and heard inspiring ways to tackle the greatest growth challenges they face leading their organizations. 2017 Topics Included:
- Inside the Tech Revolution
- The Perils of the Digital Divide
- Managing Truly Explosive Growth: Secrets of a 100x-er
- Disruption As Opportunity
- Stanley Bergman, Chairman and CEO, Henry Schein, Inc.
- Rodolpho Cardenuto, President, Global Channels & General Business, SAP
- Adena Friedman, CEO, Nasdaq
- Michael Osanloo, CEO, P.F. Chang's China Bistro, Inc.
Cyber risk has become a systemic threat to business as it can fundamentally affect and paralyze any organization at any time. Leaders need an integrated, holistic plan that emphasizes people, capital and technology protections to effectively assess vulnerabilities and manage risk across the entire organization.
"Patriots in Business" will be open to large, medium and small businesses and recognize outstanding work supporting active duty military members, veterans and their families. It will be judged by a cross-industry panel of CEOs and former military leaders.