From the Governor
“Iowa is the best place in America to live, work and raise a family. With the entire country struggling to attract and train a quality workforce, Iowa has taken the lead in addressing this challenge holistically. This is Iowa will raise awareness to the numerous opportunities that exist to establish careers, raise families and have new experiences. There has never been a better time to tell our story and to encourage both businesses and people to make Iowa their home.” —Gov. Kim Reynolds
Making a Good Life in the Midwest
The Hawkeye State is increasing initiatives to attract both visitors and new residents to the state by promoting the low cost of living and growing job opportunities. According to the U.S. Census Bureau, employment grew by 1.5% between March 2018 and March 2019, a greater rate than other cities in the Midwest. Companies to recently invest in the state include Facebook, Northern Tool & Equipment, Lely North America and Kreg Enterprises
Economic Development Set-Aside (EDSA): Offers financial assistance as direct or forgivable loans of up to $1 million to projects that create manufacturing jobs, add value to Iowa resources or increase exports.
High Quality Jobs (HQJ) program: Offers loans, tax credits, exemptions and other refunds to businesses that create high quality jobs.
New Jobs Tax Credit: Offers a tax credit of up to $1,836 per new employee to participants in the New Jobs Training (260E) Program that expand their workforce.
Research Activities Credit: Offers a refundable tax credit for research and development investments including wages, tangible property other than land, and 6.5% of expenses released to contract research.
Iowa Innovation Accelerator Fund: Offers financing for companies that accelerate innovation in the state and create high-paying jobs.
Iowa Economic Development Authority: iowaeconomicdevelopment.com
Iowa Area Development Group: iadg.com
Greater Des Moines Partnership: dsmpartnership.com
Cedar Rapids Metro Economic Alliance: cedarrapids.org
Highlighted Program or Initiative
The This is Iowa campaign is striving to revitalize the state by encouraging people across the nation to visit, live and work in Iowa. Web, TV, print and social media ads promote the quality of life, low cost of living and growing economic opportunities in the state.
- Kreg Enterprises announced in July 2018 it will create 20 jobs and invest $34 million in a new facility in Ankeny.
- Lely North America announced in January 2019 it will construct a new North American headquarters in Pella.
- Northern Tool & Equipment company announced in January 2019 it will build a $26 million distribution center and create 183 new jobs in Ankeny.
- Readi-Fuels-Iowa, an LLC created by Applied Research Associates and C&N Biofuels, announced in February 2019 it will construct a $58 million production facility in Sioux County that will create 31 jobs.
- Facebook announced in May 2019 a fifth data center building at its facility in Altoona. The $400 million project will create 100 jobs.
- Sammons Financial Group announced in June 2019 it will build a $65 million office in West Des Moines that will create 125 jobs.
Archer Daniels Midland
Three Fortune 500 companies are headquartered in the state:
Casey’s General Stores
“Our vision is to create a collaborative and functional workspace for our teams now and in the future. West Des Moines is our home, and we’re excited to bring economic growth to our community while enriching our existing employees’ experience at their workplace.” —Esfand Dinshaw, Chairman and CEO, SFG
“It has been a decade since we started our first distribution center operations in Oelwein, and we are extremely pleased that we became part of this community.” —Bob Flicker, COO, East Penn Manufacturing Company