Presented by Chief Executive magazine and Thayer Leader Development Group at West Point, the Patriots in Business Award recognizes outstanding businesses that lead the nation in supporting active duty military members, veterans and their families.
In the age of Amazon, companies need to be intelligent, agile, automated and on the cloud. But building this kind of operation isn’t easy, and mergers, acquisitions and divestitures are becoming a strategic tool of choice for companies to buy their way into the model.
On July 30, 2018, Lockheed Martin CEO Marillyn Hewson spoke at the United Nations Delegates Dining Room, accepting the honor as the 2018 CEO of the Year. Here is an execrpt from her speech.
SMART MANUFACTURING SUMMITJune 6-7, 2018 | Columbus, Ohio Chief Executive was pleased to co-host the 2018 Smart Manufacturing Summit with Honda. More than 200 manufacturing executives convened in Ohio to gain real-world solutions on the challenges and opportunities facing the manufacturing industry. An inspiring 2 days included keynotes, panels and peer-to-peer roundtables along with guided tours of Honda’s and Anomatics’ state-of-the-art facilities. Companies represented at the 2018 Summit included: Cintas Corporation, Delta Systems, Inc., Entrust Manufacturing Technologies, Inc., The Greenbriar Companies, One Energy, Sioux Corporation, Uber Technologies and Webster Industries, Inc. 2018 Topics Included:
- Embracing new digital technologies from IoT to AI
- Attracting and developing extraordinary leaders for their company
- Creating growth and profitability in a tumultuous time
- Rich Baker, Chief Technology Officer, Protolabs
- Norman Bodek, Author & Founder of Productivity Press, PCS Press
- Mary Beth Connolly, Business Partner for Industry, VP, Marketing, Schneider Electric
- Mohammad Ehteshami, Vice President and General Manager, GE Additive
- Gary Heiman, President & CEO, Standard Textile
- Farooq Kathwari, CEO, Ethan Allen
- Thomas Kinisky, President and CEO, Saint-Gobain Corporation
- Tom Shoupe, Executive Vice President & Chief Operating Officer, Honda of America Mfg.
BOARDROOM SUMMITApril 23-25, 2018 | New York, NY The Boardroom Summit, featuring the original Board Committee Peer Exchange, is exclusive to public company board members and executives. Through a mix of energizing keynotes and panels, interactive breakouts, and roll-up-your-sleeves committee workshops, participants gained actionable best practices and guidance to make an immediate impact in their boardrooms. Companies represented at the 2018 Summit included: Abercrombie & Fitch, Carnival Corporation, Chipotle Mexican Grill, Evercore Inc., Del Monte Fresh Produce Co., iStar Financial, Meritage Homes, Popular, Inc., State Street Global Advisors, Tiffany & Co. and Yum! Brands, Inc. 2018 Topics Included:
- Board's Eye View of Strategy and Risk
- How Leading Companies Pay for Performance
- The Role of Board Evaluations in Building High-Performing Boards
- The Investors' Perspective - Fundamental Expectations for Today's Boards
- The Board's Role in Talent and Culture as Strategic Drivers
- Why Investors Care About ESG ... And How Boards Should Respond
- Fireside Chat: Shareholder Activism in 2018
- Ram Charan, Author of Boards That Lead and Boards That Deliver
- Peter May, President & Fouding Partner, Trian Partners
- Investor representatives from Blackrock, Calstrs, State Street and Vanguard
- Board members from Akamai Technologies, Apogee Enterprises, Bausch & Lomb, Campbell Soup, Cisco Systems, Fresh Del Monte Produce Company, Gorman-Rupp Company, Hershey Company, Johnson & Johnson, Merck & Co., Tractor Supply Co., Vulcan Materials Company, Wendy’s Company and Xerox.
CYBER RISK FORUMApril 16, 2018 | San Francisco, CA In partnership with RSA ® Conference, this one-day program aimed to improve the dialogue between management and the board on cyber issues through panels of cybersecurity experts and thought leaders, as well as in-depth peer-driven discussions to share experiences and practical insights direct from the trenches.companies represented at the forum included: DISH Network, Hertz, Imperva, SailPoint, Semtech and Walmart. The 2018 event sold out, so be sure to register early. 2018 Topics Included:
- Understanding the government’s take on cyber security
- Emerging third party risks
- Building a cyber-savvy culture to minimize internal risks
- Leveraging the CISO-board relationship
- Keynote: The Honorable Michael Chertoff, Former Secretary of the U.S. Department of Homeland Defense
- Keynote: Adam S. Hickey, Deputy Assistant Attorney General, National Asset Protection
- Dawn Cappelli, VP, Global Security & Chief Information Security Officer, Rockwell Automation
- Jim Routh, Chief Security Officer, Aetna
- John Scimone, SVP & Chief Security Officer, Dell
CEO2CEO SUMMITDecember 7, 2017 | New York, NY The 2017 CEO2CEO Summit provided an intensive setting for busy chief executives to meet and share knowledge with other leaders who have mastered turbulent times to speed growth and foster innovation. Attendees learned to hone their plans for growth and heard inspiring ways to tackle the greatest growth challenges they face leading their organizations. 2017 Topics Included:
- Inside the Tech Revolution
- The Perils of the Digital Divide
- Managing Truly Explosive Growth: Secrets of a 100x-er
- Disruption As Opportunity
- Stanley Bergman, Chairman and CEO, Henry Schein, Inc.
- Rodolpho Cardenuto, President, Global Channels & General Business, SAP
- Adena Friedman, CEO, Nasdaq
- Michael Osanloo, CEO, P.F. Chang's China Bistro, Inc.
CEO LEADERSHIP CONFERENCENovember 2-3, 2017 | Denver, CO The CEO Leadership Conference featured keynote Jim Collins, best-selling author and advisor to CEOs on strategy, sustainability and growth. Over 200 mid-market CEOs and key executives enjoyed engaging roundtables, informative breakout sessions and the opportunity to network with senior leaders across industries. Companies represented at the 2018 conference included: Acme Industries, Inc., Beck Automation, Berry Companies, Inc., Chevron North America, Delta Systems, Inc., Milwaukee Electronics, O.C. Communications, Pureflow, Inc., Sunbelt Rentals Inc. and Weber, Inc. The 2017 event sold out, so be sure to register early. 2017 Topics Included:
- Keynote Jim Collins: What makes the best companies truly stand out from their peers?
- Leadership lessons from the Hanoi Hilton
- Amazing experiences start with remaining relevant
- The Economy - 2018, 2019 and beyond
- Accelerating performance through strategic leadership
- Brian Beaulieu, CEO, ITR Economics
- Lee Ellis, Founder and Owner, Leadership Freedom LLC
- Roch Parayre, Partner, Heidrick & Struggles Leadership Consulting
- Ross Shafer, CEO, Ross Shafer Consultants
CEO TALENT SUMMITOctober 25-27, 2017 | Orlando, FL Chief Executive’s 2017 CEO Talent Summit started with a keynote from The Disney Institute’s Jeff James, one of the world’s top leadership training centers. The 2017 Summit was an intimate, interactive retreat that allowed attendees to develop new contacts and relationships from across the spectrum of American business, and take home real strategies for creating a culture that engages employees, making them more innovative and productive. 2017 Topics Included:
- Keynote: Magic of the Kingdom: How Disney Does it
- 10 Key Recruiting Trends
- Problem/Solution: Getting Employees in the Door
- Skills: The Holy Grail
- Creating a Culture of Engagement
- The Workplace of the Future
- Jeff James, Vice President and General Manager, Disney Institute
- Gary Spulak, President, Embraer Aircraft Holding
- Jill Larsen, Senior Vice President, Human Resources, Cisco
- Omar Soliman, CEO, College Hunks Hauling Junk
- Sandro Bassili, Chief Human Resources Officer, Anheuser-Busch InBev
- Brigette McInnis-Day, Senior Vice President, Human Resources, SAP
Cyber risk has become a systemic threat to business as it can fundamentally affect and paralyze any organization at any time. Leaders need an integrated, holistic plan that emphasizes people, capital and technology protections to effectively assess vulnerabilities and manage risk across the entire organization.
"Patriots in Business" will be open to large, medium and small businesses and recognize outstanding work supporting active duty military members, veterans and their families. It will be judged by a cross-industry panel of CEOs and former military leaders.