Chief Executive magazine, in partnership with Thayer Leadership at West Point, a leader in applying military leadership principles to leader development, announced the 4th Annual Patriots in Business Award, honoring the Best Companies with Veteran & Military Initiatives.
This award recognizes outstanding businesses that lead our nation in supporting active duty military members, veterans and their families and exemplify the values of Duty, Honor and Country through their business practices and throughout their community and industry. Through their initiatives on hiring, training, supporting, and honoring Active Duty, Veterans and military families, these outstanding companies are the gold standard for other companies who seek to support those who serve.
The awards are open to all for-profit corporations. 2020 award recipients are not eligible for the 2021 awards.
APPLICATION OPEN DATE: April 1, 2021
APPLICATION CLOSE DATE: June 15, 2021
HONOREES ANNOUNCED: October 2021
Congratulations to our 2020 Patriots in Business Award Winners:
WHO IS ELIGIBLE?
The awards are open to all for-profit corporations. 2020 award recipients are not eligible for the 2021 awards. 2019 honorees are eligible but must demonstrate advancements/innovations from previous application to be considered for 2021.
WHAT ARE THE CATEGORIES?
- Large Enterprises – greater than $1B annual revenue
- Medium-sized Businesses – $10M-$1B annual revenue
- Small Businesses – less than $10M annual revenue
WHO CAN SUBMIT A NOMINATION?
Entries may be self-nominated or submitted on behalf of corporations by those who work with them or by outside vendors and service providers.
Materials submitted in support of nominations should relate to qualifications and activities from July 1, 2020 – May 31, 2021. All entries should be received by June 15, 2021, to be eligible for consideration. Eligible entries must consist of an entry form and any relevant supporting documents. The following format for materials should be followed:
- Nomination form with all relevant fields complete.
- Supplemental supporting documents – Must directly support nomination qualification. Examples could include testimonials, press coverage of achievements, marketing materials, or other honorable mentions and awards related to the company’s programs and/or initiative for military, veterans and their families. Please do not submit entire annual reports. Please submit in an attached Word or PDF file.
HOW WILL THE WINNERS BE DETERMINED?
Criteria for the award can be found below. An independent panel of judges will determine the award recipients in each category.
CRITERIA FOR THE AWARD
HIRE VETERANS AND MILITARY SPOUSES
The company has made hiring veterans and military spouses a priority. They have defined objectives and established procedures to hire veterans and military spouses, as well as encourage other employers to hire our nation’s heroes.
- Attracting veterans and military spouses: established programs or methodologies for attracting veterans and military spouses, such as hosting hiring events targeting veterans, partnering with veteran support groups, exclusive advertising and messaging, etc.
- Recruiting veterans and military spouses: 2022 recruitment plans and annual veteran hiring targets as a percentage of total 2022 hiring goals
- Hiring veterans and military spouses: percentage of 2021 hires who are veterans and military spouses
TRAIN, RETAIN AND SUPPORT VETERANS, NATIONAL GUARD, RESERVE AND SPOUSES
The company has established programs, policies and/or dedicated staff to support veterans and military spouses, and ensure their success as they transition to the corporate world.
- Training veterans and military spouses: established veteran’s assistance, transition and training programs
- Retaining veterans and military spouses: percentage of workforce who are veterans and military spouses, and the retention rate of 2021 veteran hires
- Supporting National Guard and Reserve employees and their families: policy and programs established to provide support to employees and their families during military training and deployments
- Provide income and tuition support for veterans: support additional education, training and certification required for veterans and military spouses to be successful
HONOR VETERANS AND THEIR FAMILIES WITHIN THE COMPANY AND COMMUNITY
The company promotes awareness and support of veterans and veteran organizations within the company, as well as throughout their industry and community.
- Veterans networking within the company: provide support, networking and mentorship to veteran employees. Inform and guide the company’s leadership on the value of hiring veterans, military culture, and veterans’ issues
- Supporting veteran philanthropies: Goal for 2022 and accomplishments in 2021