Chief Executive magazine, in partnership with Thayer Leader Development Group at West Point, announced the 2nd Annual Patriots in Business Award, honoring the Best Companies with Veteran & Military Initiatives.
The 2019 winners are:
• Large Enterprises – Fiserv, Inc.
• Medium-Sized Businesses – GeoStabilization International
• Small Businesses – JDog Brands
Applications will be accepted starting March, 1 2020. For questions, please email PatriotsAward@thayerleaderdevelopment.com.
Awards presented September 24, 2019 at the 2019 CEO Talent Summit, co-hosted by Chief Executive and Thayer Leader Development Group.
Learn more about the award here.
View the application questions prior to submitting by clicking here.
For additional questions, contact: PatriotsAward@thayerleaderdevelopment.com
Congratulations to our 2019 Patriots in Business Award Winners:
WHO IS ELIGIBLE?
The awards are open to all for-profit corporations.
WHAT ARE THE CATEGORIES?
- Large Enterprises – greater than $1B annual revenue
- Medium-sized Businesses – $10M-$1B annual revenue
- Small Businesses – less than $10M annual revenue
WHO CAN SUBMIT A NOMINATION?
Entries may be self-nominated or submitted on behalf of corporations by those who work with them or by outside vendors and service providers.
Materials submitted in support of nominations should relate to qualifications and activities from July 1, 2019 – February 28, 2020. All entries should be received by June 15, 2020, to be eligible for consideration. Eligible entries must consist of an entry form, an executive summary, and any relevant supporting documents. The following format for materials should be followed:
- Nomination form with all relevant fields complete.
- Supplemental supporting documents – Must directly support nomination qualification. Examples could include testimonials, press coverage of achievements, marketing materials, or other honorable mentions and awards related to the company’s programs and/or initiative for military, veterans and their families. Please do not submit entire annual reports. Please submit in an attached Word or PDF file.
HOW WILL THE WINNERS BE DETERMINED?
Criteria for the award can be found below. An independent panel of judges will determine the award recipients in each category.
CRITERIA FOR THE AWARD
HIRE VETERANS AND MILITARY SPOUSES
The company has made hiring veterans and military spouses a priority. They have defined objectives and established procedures to hire veterans, as well as encourage other employers to hire our nation’s heroes.
- Attracting veterans: established programs or methodologies for attracting veterans, such as hosting hiring events targeting veterans, partnering with veteran support groups, exclusive advertising and messaging, etc.
- Recruiting veterans: 2020 recruitment plans and annual veteran hiring targets as a percentage of total 2020 hiring goals
- Hiring veterans and military spouses: percentage of 2019 hires who are veterans and military spouses
TRAIN, RETAIN AND SUPPORT VETERANS, NATIONAL GUARD, RESERVE AND SPOUSES
The company has established programs, policies and/or dedicated staff to support veterans and ensure their success as they transition to the corporate world.
- Training veterans: established veteran’s assistance, transition and training programs
- Retaining veterans: percentage of workforce who are veterans and the retention rate of 2019 veteran hires
- Supporting National Guard and Reserve employees and their families: policy and programs established to provide support to employees and their families during military training and deployments
- Provide income and tuition support for veterans: support additional education, training and certification required for veterans to be successful
HONOR VETERANS AND THEIR FAMILIES WITHIN THE COMPANY AND COMMUNITY
The company promotes awareness and support of veterans and veteran organizations within the company, as well as throughout their industry and community.
- Veterans networking within the company: provide support, networking and mentorship to veteran employees. Inform and guide the company’s leadership on the value of hiring veterans, military culture, and veterans’ issues
- Providing special benefits for veterans and military: program, policy and promotion of special benefits such as discounts or other incentives for veteran and active duty military customers
- Using purchasing to provide service disabled veteran owned business or veteran owned business: established supplier diversity program and the number of Veteran’s Business Enterprises used as suppliers, and percentage of overall budget
- Supporting veteran philanthropies: Goal for 2020 and accomplishments in 2019