Should You Tell Employees They’re ‘High Potentials’?

Determining whether to be transparent or not is a hot debate, significantly impacting corporate culture and the talent management process.

They also argued the negatives:

“If you’re telling 10% of the workforce they’re high potentials, the other 90% will quickly figure out they aren’t.”
  • Your plan could backfire. Telling select employees they’re poised for greatness may create unbearable employees who believe in their own superiority. They may coast on their previous merits, believing that since they’ve already sealed the deal, they don’t need to work as hard to succeed.
  • The power of the grapevine. Word spreads quickly, so if you’re telling 10% of the workforce they’re high potentials, the other 90% will quickly figure out they aren’t. This can cause major friction between the haves and the have nots, and much of your team could become disillusioned, unmotivated and unproductive.
  • They overcompensate. Some high potentials want to show they can handle additional responsibilities, but may take on too much too soon. By taking on more than they’re equipped to handle, they risk failure.

To determine whether to be transparent, consider these points:

  • Commit to coaching top talent. Make talent development a high priority, providing high performers with increased training, responsibilities, mentoring and, ultimately, advancement. Developing strong performers is far more valuable than simply telling them they’re high potential.
  • Consider the whole package. Don’t assume employees are high potential because they perform well. Each employee’s “soft skills”—personality traits, reputation, integrity, etc.—should factor into your decision.
  • Be specific. ‘High potential’ is a vague term that can be open to interpretation. Be clear about expectations and benchmarks/timelines for advancement.
  • Recognize and reward great work. Regardless of whether you tell employees they’re high potential, acknowledge strong performance and reward hard work with praise, raises and advancement. By doing so, you demonstrate employees’ value, increasing their motivation and commitment.
  • Decide whether you can afford to gamble. Will transparency keep high potentials loyal and prevent them from deflecting to competitors? Or will it backfire, eroding your corporate culture? Determine whether the rewards of telling outweigh the possible risks.

Every company has high-potential and low-potential employees. Finding the best staff members and cultivating them is critical to any company’s long-term success. When it comes to telling them vs. not telling them, you must weigh the benefits and drawbacks and decide what is right for the long-term growth of your firm.


  • Get the CEO Briefing

    Sign up today to get weekly access to the latest issues affecting CEOs in every industry
  • upcoming events


    Strategic Planning Workshop

    1:00 - 5:00 pm

    Over 70% of Executives Surveyed Agree: Many Strategic Planning Efforts Lack Systematic Approach Tips for Enhancing Your Strategic Planning Process

    Executives expressed frustration with their current strategic planning process. Issues include:

    1. Lack of systematic approach (70%)
    2. Laundry lists without prioritization (68%)
    3. Decisions based on personalities rather than facts and information (65%)


    Steve Rutan and Denise Harrison have put together an afternoon workshop that will provide the tools you need to address these concerns.  They have worked with hundreds of executives to develop a systematic approach that will enable your team to make better decisions during strategic planning.  Steve and Denise will walk you through exercises for prioritizing your lists and steps that will reset and reinvigorate your process.  This will be a hands-on workshop that will enable you to think about your business as you use the tools that are being presented.  If you are ready for a Strategic Planning tune-up, select this workshop in your registration form.  The additional fee of $695 will be added to your total.

    To sign up, select this option in your registration form. Additional fee of $695 will be added to your total.

    New York, NY: ​​​Chief Executive's Corporate Citizenship Awards 2017

    Women in Leadership Seminar and Peer Discussion

    2:00 - 5:00 pm

    Female leaders face the same issues all leaders do, but they often face additional challenges too. In this peer session, we will facilitate a discussion of best practices and how to overcome common barriers to help women leaders be more effective within and outside their organizations. 

    Limited space available.

    To sign up, select this option in your registration form. Additional fee of $495 will be added to your total.

    Golf Outing

    10:30 - 5:00 pm
    General’s Retreat at Hermitage Golf Course
    Sponsored by UBS

    General’s Retreat, built in 1986 with architect Gary Roger Baird, has been voted the “Best Golf Course in Nashville” and is a “must play” when visiting the Nashville, Tennessee area. With the beautiful setting along the Cumberland River, golfers of all capabilities will thoroughly enjoy the golf, scenery and hospitality.

    The golf outing fee includes transportation to and from the hotel, greens/cart fees, use of practice facilities, and boxed lunch. The bus will leave the hotel at 10:30 am for a noon shotgun start and return to the hotel after the cocktail reception following the completion of the round.

    To sign up, select this option in your registration form. Additional fee of $295 will be added to your total.