Checklist: Is Blogging Right for You?
September 29 2011 by John Kador
If you can answer “Yes” to four or more of the following questions, chances are you will enjoy and succeed at blogging.
- Do you enjoy writing and have a knack for it? If it’s a burden to write a staff announcement, blogging is probably not for you. Y/N _____
- Are you a thought leader? Do you write articles, publish op-ed pieces, speak at industry functions and enjoy panel discussions? If not, what exactly will you blog about? ____
- Can you make the time? Are you on airplanes a lot? Can you get up early? Blogging is a habit. It doesn’t require big chunks of time, but it does require small amounts of time frequently. ____
- Do you have interests outside work? The more varied your interests, the broader the scope of your blog. ____
- Do you tend to be transparent in your dealings? A blog requires a high degree of transparency. If you like to hold things close to the vest, a blog will be a stretch. ____
- Will the company back you? If compliance or legal hold their breath every time you blog, maybe it’s not worth it. ____